package request: have qt-at-spi installed by default

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Mar 27 19:06:18 UTC 2015

kendell clark wrote:

> It is true that you have to be somewhat advanced to know to
> create a script in /etc/profile.d, but this is *necessary* for qt4
> accessibility to work. Without this, the plugin is installed but no
> program knows to use it.

I just spoke with some upstream Qt/KDE accessiblity devs, and they continue
to recommend that users of Qt4 applications to do some sort of opt-in (ie,
set QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1 manually).  They said the support is just not good or
reliable enough to justify enabling it by default for everyone.

In short, I'd be in favor of including qt-at-spi in workstation's
installation set (but not set QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1 automatically).

I could possibly be convinced to set QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1 conditionally
somehow (based on some configuration key being set or not, for example)

-- Rex

p.s. This only applies to Qt4 applications, of course, Qt5 ones should work
out of the box.