Request to include gnome-maps by default in F22

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 10:36:37 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, 2015-03-30 at 19:04 -0400, White, Langdon wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > I thought the point of gnome-software was to make apps discoverable
> > without default installation. I believe that if you type "map" in the
> > overview you get prompted to install maps,  which is great.
>
> (Snip)
>
> I have a literal mind:
>
> I typed "map", and I got "character map", plus a bunch of my files which
> the search engine considered relevant. (1)
>
> I typed "gnome-map", and gnome-maps came up as an option along with the
> game nibbles. (2)
>
> I still support Langdon on this one, though.  I agree with the great
> reasons to "include" it and "promote" it ... but what I loved about F21
> over previous releases was that gnome-software and its integration with
> the activities overview search function makes what is installed on the
> system out of the box much less important, since if it wasn't, it could
> easily be installed right away.
>
> I think that "map" should show gnome-maps as suggested; after the
> knee-jerk reaction, it took me a moment to think "ah, maybe I should
> type "gnome-map" instead to see what happens" (which I'm not sure
> *everyone* would think of) ...
>
> Can I vote +/- O on this one? :)

Not from me. Notwithstanding the fact that many users won't know that there's
a stand-alone Maps application and carry on using Bing or Google Maps in a browser,
and that, even though it's easy to install new apps, we won't stop curating the default
install, I've already made the necessary changes Friday, as mentioned on the list.