LVM in default filesystem layout

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 5 12:34:22 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 7:58 AM, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:

Right.  dm-crypt is what is most common.

So I think hanging our encryption efforts on ext4 encryption at this
point is premature.  The comments in the article Bastien linked to are
actually pretty good, and Ted and Michael spent time clarifying and
answering questions.  For a single user laptop, dm-crypt performance
is likely going to be on-par with ext4 encryption, or at least close
enough to not have us jumping on ext4 immediately.  For multi-user
systems, ext4 is a slightly more intriguing option since you don't
have one single key for the whole system.  But that tends to not be
the user base Workstation is targeting.

At the moment this is all moot anyway, because the feature just got
merged with 4.1 and it's disabled in the Fedora kernel for now.  I'm
not even sure userspace is ready to leverage this yet either.

josh