LVM in default filesystem layout

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 5 12:43:40 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Ray Strode <rstrode at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,

>> > On a workstation or laptop, LVM's main use is to encrypt the disks.
>>
>> huh? you don't need lvm for disk encryption.
>
> Well, you do need device mapper, for how we do encryption, though, and of course,
> you can't have LVM without device mapper.

That is true, but it's beside the point.  Throwing out device mapper
just because LVM is built on top of it seems pretty silly.

> I think getting rid of device mapper is a good, related, goal, too. Both LVM and
> device mapper add layers of complexity that, while useful in some contexts, aren't
> really necessary in a lot of common workstation cases.

If you read the article comments, the _author_ of the ext4 encryption
work says for single user laptops he would recommend sticking with
dm-crypt for now.

http://lwn.net/Articles/640015/

You guys are sure excited to dump something that is proven to work
(and allows flexibility in the filesystem on top of it) for something
new and shiny.  Let's back off for a bit and give this time to mature.

josh