LVM in default filesystem layout

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Tue May 5 16:35:36 UTC 2015

I've had the opposite experience. I've never figured out how to
multiboot after installing Fedora with LVM, since other distros'
installers just can't handle it, nor do any standard partition
management tools. I've no doubt LVM is great if you're familiar with
how it works, but I have no intention of taking the time to figure out
the different command line tools, nor do I plan to install another
disk management application when we already have one part of our core
OS.

On Tue, 2015-05-05 at 09:45 -0600, Pete Travis wrote:
> I'm not sure who benefits from removing it, aside from folks that
> decide to only use gnome-disks for filesystem and partition
> management.  This multiboot crowd is your mindshare generator, try
> to make it easy for them.

Um, I think we should indeed assume that folks use only GNOME Disks
for filesystem and partition management... if we aren't prepared to
make that assumption, we shouldn't be installing it by default.

The other common tool is gparted, which can't handle LVM either. I
think I tried KDE's partition manager once and it had similar
problems, but don't remember for sure.

I think it's important for LVM to be an option in the installer, for
users who find it useful. But I see a very compelling case to use
standard partitions by default when disk encryption is not selected.
(On the other hand, we really ought to have full disk encryption by
default....)

Michael