Why people are not switching to Fedora

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Fri May 8 07:37:08 UTC 2015

hi
I agree with this but at the same time I disagree. I completely agree
that installing codecs should be easier. On the other hand, I'm
sympothetic to fedora's awkward position. If they made installing
these codecs easier or installed them by default, even though the
software to play them is open source, they could find themselves on
the bad end of an  riaa or mpaa lawsuit. Redhat might win, but it
would be spending money they could be spending improving linux on
stupid and pointless court battles.  It's why I've converted all my
media to open codecs, ogg or opus, even stuff that I originally got in
patent encumbered mp3 formats and others. Is this an option for
everyone? Absolutely not, since I know enough about how linux works to
know how, but not everyone will. It's a complicated and thorny issue
that I have no answers to. I'll also point out that some
distributions, notably ubuntu, used to offer a solution by advertising
an "officially" sanctioned method, which involved shelling out money
for a blob from fluendo to play the mp3 codec, which, while avoiding a
lawsuit, completely defeats the purpose of open source software. This
is not an option for fedora, and I hope they never consider this. I'd
honestly rather the lawsuit than that solution.
 Thanks
Kendell clark
Sent from Fedora GNU/Linux