Why people are not switching to Fedora

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 8 12:43:50 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 01:48:56PM +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> I don't think we have the resources to please both those who want a
> usable rolling release *and* those who want an LTS release.

Making release-to-release upgrades more transparent seems like it'd
help with both of these things, at least on a desktop. For an LTS
server, one basically hopes to never apply updates ever. For a desktop,
as long as the updates are hassle-free, as long as I don't have to
spend a day on it (or significantly adjust my daily habits), LTS,
rolling release, and twice-annual version bumps should basically be
interchangeable.

I just fedup'd my travel laptop, after doing it successfully on my
desktop system, and while the first time went basically smoothly, on
the second, the dash-to-dock extension isn't behaving right, and for
some bizare reason the unicode symbol 🌐 comes out gigantic — like,
multiple lines large.

The extensions problem is, I know, hard to deal with, since it's
third-party code. And I'll file a bug for the unicode thing — I dunno
what's up with that.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>