Firefox crashing when trying to play youtube html5 videos

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 8 22:56:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Heiko Adams <ml at fedora-blog.de> wrote:
>> I figured out that "dnf remove gstreamer1-libav \*libva\*" seems to
>> solve the problem.
>> Reinstalling one of them makes firefox crashing again.
>>
> Okay it seems gstreamer1-vaapi *and* gstreamer1-libav are responsible
> for this issue.

I can reproduce this here too: having either of those installed makes
firefox very crashy when handling videos.

It seems to be some sort of a bad interaction between gstreamer
plugins, because of all things, downgrading
gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld to the f21 version fixed this issue.
downgraded from gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld-1.4.3-1.fc22.x86_64
to gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld-1.4.3-1.fc21.x86_64

Mozilla crash report:
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/be367922-9a60-4d16-86df-5e1f42150508
I can also get a proper backtrace with all the symbol installed if
anyone needs that.
--
-Elad.