Official Fedora Survey 2015

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Sun May 10 05:37:30 UTC 2015

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 7:45 PM, Diogo Campos (gmail)
<diogocamposwd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have seen things like these recently:
>
> 1-
> https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2015/05/07/summary-of-fedora-workstation-feedback/
>
> 2- https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2015-April/011897.html
>
> 3- https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2015-April/011860.html
>
> 4-
> http://otroblogdegnu-linux.blogspot.com.br/2015/05/do-you-want-gnome-tweak-tool-by-default.html
>
> 5- Someone (Mathew Miller?) saying that Fedora should have something like
> this: http://blog.brackets.io/2015/03/27/introducing-brackets-health-report/
> (these are my words, can not find the original message).
>
> So, I was wondering... There is interest in a "Official Fedora Survey 2015"
> thing?
>
> Because I can (and I want to) do something about it.
>
> I am thinking in something to expose the concrete needs/difficulties/desires
> from real users (especially from those who care) about Fedora (and Linuxes,
> and OSes) in a useful, understandable, and more precise way.
>
> If yes, please, say it, so I can show/catch ideas and work on a demo.
>
> And, if not, please, say it too, because I kinda don't want to waste my time
> on an useless thing.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

I think it's a great idea with one caveat - there's no *dollar* value
attached to Fedora being any better or worse than Ubuntu, openSUSE,
Linux Mint or any other "Linux desktop offering". Ubuntu has a
donation widget on their website where they ask people how much
various new features would be worth.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/contribute/?version=14.04.2&architecture=amd64

I think they have the right idea. Instead of a survey, put a page like
this at the download site for Workstation. I'd pay two bucks to
download Fedora Workstation - compared to $160 for Windows 8.1 Pro
it's a no-brainer. If people want media players, let them vote for
them with money. If people want the KDE desktop or the Design spin or
the audio spin or whatever - things they can easily install with the
netinstall disk - let them vote for them with money.