Why people are not switching to Fedora

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Sun May 10 16:41:13 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-05-10 at 01:12 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

> > Something built in would be nice...
> *ahem* deja-dup. If it is not included by default in Fedora 22, then
> it
> is a bug.

Why would you think this a bug? It was removed to save space on the
live CD a couple years ago. Nowadays we have a much better reason not
to include it: it's unmaintained.

I definitely want a backup tool installed and active (nagging!) by
default, but not Deja Dup. All of our software has bugs, but for Deja
Dup nobody is even looking at them, let alone fixing them. That isn't
acceptable for a backup tool, where failure means data loss. We should
reconsider if that situation changes upstream.

Since no better tool exists, that means we should have none for the
time being.

> > 1) system-config-* utilities need some work... some of them are
> > broken, some of them are useless, some only work partially. Samba
> > comes to the mind especially, i tried using it a couple months ago
> > and
> > it looked like it hadn't been updated at all since Fedora 10 or 11.
> Some of them are obsoletes replaced by alternative.
> system-config-selinux is renamed policycoreutils. system-config
> -services
> is very much a frontend for systemd. Granted the UX needs overhaul.

We don't ship any system-config-* utilities anymore, and we will not
add any ever again (system configuration belongs in gnome-control
-center), so this isn't relevant to Workstation at all. This sounds
like a complaint for the KDE SIG.

> > 3) Add /usr/games to $PATH. I discovered this when installing some
> >
> > games via GOG.com. Ubuntu has /usr/games in user $PATH by default
> > and
> > GOG assumes thats there for their distro-independent installer
> > scripts. Reality is game developers are targeting Ubuntu and Fedora
> > needs to be matching Ubuntu's configuration where possible in
> > order to
> > not needless raise the barrier-to-entry.

Erm, their "distro-independent installer scripts" are not very good:
since only Debian/Ubuntu use /usr/games, that's going to break on
almost every distro, not just Fedora. I didn't realize we even have
/usr/games, and it's definitely wrong for upstream to put stuff there.

Adding it to $PATH seems like a reasonable request that can't possibly
harm anything. On the other hand, it might be better to simply remove
/usr/games.

> > 7) Anaconda...

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2015-May/012065.html

Cheers,