Why people are not switching to Fedora

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Sun May 10 23:02:23 UTC 2015

hi
I couldn't agree with this post more. It's the age old battle against
user convenience versus user awareness. You've got a certain segment
of the population that thinks computers are this amazing magical box.
You press the power button, windows, because everyone uses windows,
right? Comes on and it all just works. Then you've got the rest, who
generally like to figure out how things work. For us, I count myself
one of these, a problem isn't a problem, it's an opportunity to figure
out what's gone wrong so I can fix it. My patience isn't limitless,
and I do have my frustration points, but fedora is what it is. If you
want a distro taht puts all that nonfree goodness in there by default,
pick another distro. Harsh, but true. I for one, and I suspect many
others, aren't going to go out of the way to put mp3, aac, etc codecs
in fedora, just to satisfy the "just works" group of users. I'm not
even sure fedora could, but I've already mentioned this. What I think
they should do, and this can be brought up in one of the wg meetings
maybe, is to have a samples folder of "free" codecs, ogg music files,
maybe a few videos, some open document files, maybe assorted other
files, to show that you don't have to have proprietary file formats to
listen to music. Mp3 is just bits, with a particular header at the
beginning that identifies it as an mp3. The music is just raw audio
data. You can take that music out, transplant it into another
container and you wouldn't know the difference. And you don't have to
know the internals of gstreamer to get mp3 codecs working. It's like
this. The good codecs are not patent encumbered. The bad and ugly ones
might be, depending on a whole bunch of legal stuff that's way over my
head. You want those to play mp3, aac, etc. You go on rpmfusion and
get them. Simple. If a user cannot do that, stick to windows or ubuntu
or something.
Thanks
Kendell clark