Official Fedora Survey 2015

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Mon May 11 12:48:40 UTC 2015

Everaldo Canuto píše v Ne 10. 05. 2015 v 12:31 -0300:
> Diogo,
>
> Yes, definitely yes.
>
> It is a good idea despite the fact that after 18 years with Linux I
> know that most of this surveys are ignored by developers.

That's because basing your decisions solely on surveys is not a good
idea.
1) it may sound blunt, but users often don't know what they want.
Henry Ford nailed it by this quote: “If I had asked people what they
wanted, they would have said faster horses.”
2) the users who take part in this survey are not usually a
representative sample of the whole user base. For example my parents
are long-time Fedora users, but they would never participate in such
surveys, does it mean they should be thrown overboard?

It's important to listen to users, collect user feedback, work with
it, but I think some formal surveys would shift it more to voting "Do
you want A or B?" ... hey, A won, how come you goddamn didn't go for
it? ... and that's not a way to go IMHO.

Jiri