Why people are not switching to Fedora

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Mon May 11 13:47:07 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> Christian Schaller píše v Čt 07. 05. 2015 v 14:34 -0400:
> Optimus support
> > Quite a few people did bring up that our Optimus support wasn't
> > great. Luckily I know Bastien Nocera is working on
> > something there based on work by Dave Arlie, so hopefully this is
> > one we can check off soon.
>
> I had a talk on Fedora Workstation in front of 100 people who were
> mostly our target audience (developers, students,...) and I also asked
> them what annoys them on Linux desktop the most. Support for multiple
> graphics cards was the most frequent answer. No distribution has
> really solved this problem.

We already support multiple graphics cards...

What we don't support is matching an output to a graphics card on laptops
with multiple graphics cards, leading to either lowered performance, or
lowered battery life.

I'm planning on working on this when we're further into the Wayland transition,
as I feel that any work on X11 would be soon wasted, and I don't want to
set my Optimus horses before the Wayland cart is ready.

> And for Fedora I would also add nVidia drivers. Not having multimedia
> support by default is a disadvantage, but it's really a matter of
> running one command and installing a couple of packages. But if you
> don't have good graphics card drivers or they break with every new
> release of kernel it's a dealbreaker because it can't be reliably
> solved by a couple of commands.
>
> So instead of complaining about issues that can't be solved because
> they are not technical issues (patent-protected codecs), let's focus
> on problems that are technical because there is still a lot of room
> for improvement.

I don't think that's a good way to look at things. I don't think that
having hardware support 6 months before Ubuntu is going to make people
want to move from Ubuntu when things already work "well enough" (it's not
as if the graphics card didn't work at all), when getting the distribution
set up is still going to be a pain.

It's an important problem to look into, not something to sweep under the rug.