Why people are not switching to Fedora

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon May 11 14:54:35 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, 2015-05-11 at 09:32 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > I'm not sure if you meant to include the nVidia driver as one of the
> > "technical issues", but it seems to be implied.  While that might be
> > the greatest driver in the world, there really isn't much we can do
> > about it breaking from a technical perspective.  It's proprietary, so
> > we can't fix it to build against the latest kernel we're going to
> > ship
> > and we rely on nVidia to play catch up.
>
> I think we need to discuss locking the kernel to a single major
> version for the lifetime of each Fedora Workstation release.

Locking kernel down to one single version is not a solution either. It's
the way how HW support is distributed in Linux and this way you left people
with very recent HW without support but on the other hand, you avoid
regressions for older HW... Maybe flip coin problem?

But I'll let Josh to handle this :).

Jaroslav