Official Fedora Survey 2015

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 11 20:20:45 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 03:29:41PM -0300, Diogo Campos (gmail) wrote:
> >1) it may sound blunt, but users often don't know what they want.
> >Henry Ford nailed it by this quote: “If I had asked people what they
> >wanted, they would have said faster horses.”
> In fact, my original idea is to ask to people what they are, what
> they do, what they use, what they know, and what they like(?), NOT
> (at least not exactly/directly) what they want.

Yeah. Figuring out what to ask and how to ask it is important, as is
getting the survey to the right groups.

In any case, I think we could definitely benefit from such a survey,
and not just in the desktop space (although separate surveys or parts
of the survey for cloud/server/workstation might make sense). Maybe
take this discussion over to Marketing
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing) — we actually talked about
just this at the Council meeting today. For that matter, a user
survey has been a long-time interest of the Fedora Board (now council)
— see <https://fedorahosted.org/council/ticket/1> and
<https://fedorahosted.org/council/ticket/16>.

> But, BTW, a car IS a "faster horse". Isn't?

One thing worth noting is that Ford had some pretty good feedback on
whether he was right or not. People bought his cars, or they didn't —
and either the company made a profit, or failed. We don't count
anything that is equivalent to that in Fedora. I'm definitely open to
ideas on how we could do that.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>