Why people are not switching to Fedora

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Mon May 11 20:27:04 UTC 2015

hi
I'll add my two cents in here. I'm not a developer, and can't add any
solutions, but I can at least make some suggestions. Do we want a
distro that highlights what free software can do, and the best free
software projects, or are we just another ubuntu? If our goal is to
make the user experience as "thought free" as possible, then by all
means, install chrome, skype, steam, nvidia and catalyst, and all that
good stuff. If our goal is to stand out and be a free software project
in as far as this is possible, binary firmware being the exception,
then we need to do all we can to push these stubborn hardware
companies to stop clinging to their IP, open up their code, and play
along with the rest of the world. If indeed the nvidia driver is
fantastic, then that company needs to open up it's specs and provide
documentation so the foss developers can catch up. I can already here
you practical people screaming at me " who cares as long as it just
works?" I do. And I'm not alone either. I see posts here saying that
"I don't want to include nonfree software, I just want to make the
user experience more convenient." Well, to most users, unless they can
click on an icon labeled install, and the system just work, whether
it's open source or not is of no consequence. Fedora  stands on it's
principals, and it's one of the few distros to do so. The issues you
highlight aren't issues fedora, or linux developers can help. If they
could, there would already be an open source nvidia driver that's as
good or better than the proprietary one. What we really need is
cooperation from the hardware companies, not "we'll give you a driver,
but it's closed source" or "we'll give you details if you sign an NDA,
because our IP is sacred"  It makes me so angry to have linux held
back by companies like this. Ok, I've ranted enough lol. I'll shut up no
Thanks
Kendell Sent from Fedora GNU/Linux