Why people are not switching to Fedora

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Tue May 12 00:53:44 UTC 2015

On 05/11/2015 05:14 PM, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 1:37 AM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It's not the job of an OS to educate people.
>>
>> But it is the job of a community, and the last time I checked, we were
>> more than just an OS. If the goal was just to create an operating
>> system that "just works" as you keep putting it, and providing it free
>> of charge, we'd just be Korora, not Fedora. The objective is to create
>> a system that "just works" while keeping it FOSS - please don't skip
>> out that very important clause.
>
> We are still FOSS. I'm not suggesting to just ship these things by
> default. I'm suggesting making it easier for users to make informed
> decisions on this subject, while making sure they remain safe and not
> compromise their computers in the process.
>>
>> "However, Fedora cannot and does not include MP3 decoders/encoders in
>> order to serve the goal of providing and supporting only free and open
>> source software that is not restricted by software patents by default."
>
> "by default" is a key phrase here. As well as "include". My suggestion
> is not to include these things by default, that's not viable both
> legally and philosophically.
>

>>> belSo you give people a choice here: "either throw away your brand new
>>> laptop and buy a different one, or don't use Fedora". That's not a
>>> good thing to do. It's safe to assume our target users already have
>>> computers, and that a very large percentage of them have broadcom
>>> wifi
>>> chips. If you're a developer with a laptop supplied to you by your
>>> company, you might not have a choice of the type of laptop at all.
>>
>> Well, it's like saying I'm travelling to the states and haven't the
>> right plug point - what should I do? Should I run around asking the
>> states to change their electrical system or should I try to figure out
>> what converter I need to get my system working?
>
> That's not the same at all, sorry. Getting a plug converter is very
> easy, you walk into a store, you pay money, you get a product - end of
> story. It's different with drivers. Installing them is not easy and
> requires following complicated instructions... and firmware files are
> even more of a mess.
>

>>> Wireless chips are not usually listed in the specs. This means
>>> knowing
>>> what you buy requires a lot of research and prior knowledge of which
>>> chips are "good"... Sometimes the information is not available at
>>> all.
>>> Sometimes there are multiple editions of the same laptop with
>>> different wifi chips. Sometimes non-broadcom is not an option (if you
>>> buy a Mac, for example).
>>> If someone tries Fedora, and sees that wifi doesn't work, they won't
>>> blame their hardware (they probably don't even know what "broadcom"
>>> is), after all, it worked fine on Windows (or on OS X). They'll blame
>>> Fedora.
>>
>> And we come back to awareness.

> [...]

GNOME Software is awesome.   I started a fresh F22 installation on my
laptop and thought I had installed.. $package. Whatever it was.  I typed
out the application name, a matching thing popped up, I pressed enter,
and found out "Oh, this isn't installed, I need to press this one button
first".  Then I was *done*.  It was really easy; no messing around with
a terminal, no visiting sketchy blogs, no third party sites visited.  I
have a sense that this is exactly the kind of experience you'd like when
a user wants to use flash, or Virtualbox, or listen to MP3s - everything
they want to do Just Works on Fedora.

There's a problem with this.  The user that's completely dissuaded by
four lines of cut and paste instructions to make all that happen is
going to gleefully appreciate that "Fedora Just Works with my flash
videos, mp3s, and videos! I didn't have to do anything".  We can sit
down and discuss the technical, by the books compliance with stated
policy by not shipping the bits, or metadata that provides the bits -
hey, it's just a URL to the metadata, it doesn't load anything until the
user initiates something.  It's a tired discussion, and one that IMO
continually misses the point. First, I hope nobody actually thinks that
obfuscating this is different - to the end user - compared to actually
shipping it.  Why do people with nvidia cards appreciate Ubuntu? It
offers them the nvidia driver.  Not installs for them, detects and
*offers* it.  The user is making the choice there. We don't do that; the
user has to open a browser, type "Fedora Nvidia", click several times,
then perhaps cut and paste a line into a terminal.  I have a lawnmower
with more complicated instructions - and I can disassemble it and
replace broken bits with spec parts if I need to.

More importantly, there's a compromise of the project's values.  Not
company policy, not bureaucratic red tape, not a few difficult community
members that need to be convinced that the easy way is better. Core.
Values.  The compromise isn't decreased by making the user click "OK" or
offering them a brief "this comes from a third party" to ignore.  The
licensing and patent issues that come under discussion are symptoms of a
disease that, by consensus shown via participation, we all want to
cure.  The Fedora Project's highest goal is *not* to produce a
competitive, easy to use operating system.

When someone asks me what makes Fedora different, especially a
prospective contributor, I don't talk about how easy it is in GNOME to
switch to an already-running application, or how nice it is that the
gedit UI matches the UI of the system settings application.  These are
all good things, and they're all upstream and available in other distros
too.   I point them at Fedora's values, the project's commitment to
furthering the Open Source Way, transparency, advocacy, staying close to
open upstreams - all of the *philosophy* that results in a somewhat
difficult transition from more tolerant platforms.  The Fedora Project's
Mission Statement, Foundations, and Objectives are required reading for
contributors.

I'm shocked that these principles are continually treated as negotiable
obstacles.   Maybe some end up contributing to the project without
thinking about these issues, or because their dayjob requires it, but
many, myself included, chose a distribution to play in because of the
community and it's principles.  Kendell's situation is a great example;
he's passionate about the ideology behind the project, and beginning to
contribute because the project's values align with his own.   He's
written about the formats used for audiobooks made for the blind - DRM
crippled, vendor lock-in at every level, really as inaccessible as an
accessibility effort can be.  You can understand his frustration when,
after finding a project that's *committed* to advocating permissively
licensed solutions to these problems, he finds that the developers
responsible for the project's flagship product advocating abandoning
those values for convenience and marketshare gain.

There are a lot of us out there contributing our free time in support of
these values.  I encourage everyone to do the same - if you strongly
feel that patent and license restricted bits should be effortlessly
available to end users, spend some free time improving a project like
RPMFusion or Kokora.  If you want to create a world where free culture
is welcoming and widespread, collaboration is commonplace, and people
control their content and devices, well, it isn't going to be that easy.

--Pete