Why people are not switching to Fedora

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Tue May 12 05:41:27 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-05-12 at 00:14 +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:

>> after all, we are asking "why people
>> aren't switching from Mac or Windows" and not "Why aren't people
>> switching from Ubuntu".
>
> Frankly, I'm asking the later question. We can't really compete with
> Mac or Windows because we can't run Mac or Windows apps. We can
> compete just fine with Ubuntu. I don't see why we shouldn't aim to
> make Fedora Workstation the #1 GNU/Linux distribution.

We can't compete with Mac or Windows because we don't have a sales
force with quotas and we don't have a partnership to ship integrated
hardware/software solutions with Fedora. I can't walk into a store and
buy a Fedora laptop - I can't even order one from Amazon. Hell, I
can't even walk into a store and buy a *RHEL* laptop or order one
online!

So we want to compete with Ubuntu? Great! Somebody needs to pick up
the phone and close a win-win partnership with a hardware vendor to
make a Fedora or RHEL or CentOS equivalent to the Dell XPS13. ;-)

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop