The “Windows Just Works” BIG fallacy

Martin Stransky stransky at redhat.com
Tue May 12 07:14:56 UTC 2015

On 05/12/2015 08:30 AM, Diogo Campos (gmail) wrote:
[...]

> This also highlight the importance of the “pre-installed” (or “just
> works”) concept. Be OSes, apps, codecs, drivers, or whatever. As I
> showed to you, Windows without the “pre-installed” concept, simply
> doesn't shine at all. So, Fedora have to keep this always in mind:
> normal people don't know how to “install” things.

That's the point. Pre-installed Fedora can stand for 12 months until
it's obsoleted. Pre-installed MS Windows *may* stand as long as you have
the original hardware. I don't install Fedora to my grandma because she
can't update it when it's EOL.

ma.

p.s.: I'm not talking about Linux, I'm talking just about Fedora.