Tweak Tool in Workstation?

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Tue May 12 16:44:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-05-12 at 06:02 -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> "other settings"? It might have been a longstanding complaint, but
> not
> one that's happened recently, or was ever very loud. If there are
> things
> to do in the background settings, they are probably more on fixing
> presentation
> bugs in gnome-shell for particular types of background (say, being
> more
> "magic" when setting up a panorama, a portrait photo or a small
> pattern
> as a background)

To be clear: I would prefer our background/wallpaper panel to look more
like Ubuntu's.

> Bringing back the old fonts panel is out of the question. There are
> too
> many variables, they make absolutely no sense to most users
> (seriously, do
> Windows, OSX or mobile platforms allow you to select the direction of
> anti-
> aliasing?).

We don't have to bring everything back, and we don't have to expose the
preferences exactly as Tweak Tool does. But we could offer a setting
like "crisp" or "sharp" ("too narrow" or "unantialiased" to detractors)
vs. "smooth" ("blurry" to detractors), for example. If we could find
default settings that work for everyone, then we wouldn't need
settings, but clearly we can't.