Tweak Tool in Workstation?

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Tue May 12 18:58:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-05-12 at 14:26 -0400, Adam Batkin wrote:

> Some of us *want* to be able to see our IM client, new mail indicator
> and an easily accessible icon for controlling a music player *at a
> glance* (no clicking, mouse movements or keypresses). And then a
> single click later an action is performed. Also, it's a cross-desktop
> standard.
>
> I'm not saying that everyone wants that, but some of us do. And I
> think enough of us want it that it could be better supported.

I'd like all three of those too, but built-in to the shell, like in
Unity, not using the current systray, which needs to die. I think it's
past time to pull the plug on our systray in the bottom-left
experiment: everybody hates it.

> Yeah, probably. But it always felt like Classic was just a temporary
> compatibility layer until everyone could be fully indoctrinated into
> doing everything the One True Gnome Way.

I think it's here to stay, so that Red Hat can sell RHEL. (And SUSE can
sell SLED, but let's not pretend they still have influence in GNOME.)

P.S. Most of us are reading all the emails; it's just a long thread, we
can't reply to everyone. Suffice to say that this is a controversial
issue, with developers on both sides.