Fedora 22 update security

Thiyagarajan, Nethaji n.thiyagarajan at ucl.ac.uk
Tue May 12 21:29:00 UTC 2015

Hello,

I find that the update utility in Fedora is not like in their previous versions I have used (at least until Fedora 20).

The system notifies that there are updates and when the user clicks ok to install the updates, it usually asks for the root or system administrator's password to authorize the update. However, it is strange to see in Fedora 22 that no such security is available.

Any normal user could easily install the updates that include kernel, X11 and all system related installs without the need for the system administrator. This might disrupt or falsify if some settings are done by the system administrator.

Is this bug going to be fixed or the Fedora community is going more toward Microsoft Windows OS like theme of installing the updates without the need for the system administrator.

I hope that this is not the future of Fedora. Fedora is unique in its way and I see that it is adopting more like Microsoft Windows display theme including menus.

Thanks

Nethaji