Fedora 22 update security

Nethaji ucbtnth at live.ucl.ac.uk
Wed May 13 08:33:39 UTC 2015

I always have a root account on my system and add a user after every new
installation using 'useradd' command. I do not create a user at the time
of installation.

The sudo command does not work on my account as the user is not in the
sudoers list. The user's name is not in the wheel group either. I
usually never add a sudoer to the system.

The only different thing that I did was update from Fedora 20 to 21 and
to 22 whilst the account remained on the system.

There is a small shield like thing appears (in green) when updates are
available and on clicking 'install the updates', it does install
everything.

As a normal user I cannot install anything that would be in the root
directory. The partitions in my system are '/boot', /'/, 'swap' and
'users'. So the user account is created under /users and given a normal
user privileges.

To my knowledge as I mentioned above I have not added a user to sudoers
list or wheel group. I do not think that updating from Fedora 20 to 21
or 22 should do this without consulting the 'root'.

I am at office now and when I go back home this evening I will check in
the sudoers file whether the user's name is listed in there. And if,
then it is the system update through 'fedup' that might add the user
automatically to the wheel group.

Will update in the evening GMT.

Thanks
Nethaji