Fedora 22 update security

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 13 15:24:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Christian Schaller
<cschalle at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

We're going to have to disagree then.  The problem isn't with a
friend.  If the system allows a user with 0 privileges on the system
to potentially majorly change the system, it's a problem with the
system.  I could come up with other scenarios involving kids using a
shared family laptop and terrible analogies about loaded guns with no
safety, but I'm trying to avoid hyperbole.

> That said this is not a major issue to me as the default behaviour should be here
> that the first user created on a system should be in the wheel group (which we need
> to fix as this does not happen if you set up your user using Anaconda, but it is the case
> if you set up your user using the GNOME initial install wizard.)

Sure, the default cases are all covered and mostly unimpacted because
the first user should be an admin.  I agree.  What I disagree with is
saying that is good enough and leaving the non-admin user hole around.
Put another way, changing the policy to prevent non-admin users from
applying updates does not impact the default Workstation setup while
making the system safer overall.  I see no downside to making that
change.

josh