Re: The “Windows Just Works” BIG fallacy

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Thu May 14 04:32:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Everaldo Canuto
<everaldo.canuto at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know that everybody here loves Linux but theres one difference on Windows
> that we can't beat. Most os PC's comes with Windows pre-installed and all
> drivers working.
>
> At least here, when I see Linux preinstalled, most of time is a "obscure"
> distribution not well maintained in very old hardware configuration.
>
> Does't matter the reasons, people get impression that Windows is better
> because "it works". Yes, it is a fallacy but a fallacy hard to explain for
> people that buy a computer that don't  works well because comes with "Linux"
> preinstalled.
>
> What could fix this problem is a restriction on use of Linux trademark.

What could fix this is lawyers and accountants and marketers and
engineers working together to get a partnership deal with a hardware
vendor done. Someone would actually have to convince skeptical
managers that there was a business opportunity - a market of buyers
that is not being served by Windows machines, Macs, ChromeBooks,
tablets and smartphones.

I'm guessing the Dell "Sputnik" (laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed)
"just works" - if it didn't we'd certainly hear about it on Twitter
and in the trade press. I wouldn't buy one because I'm perfectly
capable of dual-booting any Linux distro on an inexpensive Windows
laptop or installing it to bare metal on a custom-built workstation. I
might buy a Fedora laptop if I could get the hardware capacity I need
at a price lower than one with Windows pre-installed.