Significant drop in ABRT reports in F22

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Thu May 14 12:27:19 UTC 2015

Hi,
I regularly go through most frequent problems reported to ABRT retrace
server because it helps me prioritize bugs in Fedora that are assigned
to my team.
I've noticed a significant drop in number of reports in Fedora 22.
It's just two weeks before the final release when many early adopters
are already running F22, but the difference in number of reports from
F21 and F22 is huge: 64373:904.

12 days before F21 was released, we collected 16081 reports from this
version. That's almost 18x more. I don't think we're experiencing such
a huge drop in adoption, so I investigated more.

I found out several things which I think are a cause of this:

1) I upgraded my machine, and the new Problem Reporting in Privacy
Settings is set not to do automatic reporting, completely ignoring my
settings in ABRT from F21.

2) I checked settings in ABRT and automatic settings was enabled, so I
thought something was broken because my crashes were not reported
automatically. Then (with the help of Jakub Filak) I found out that
this had been overridden by the new settings in Privacy.

3) Users are no longer asked if they want to enable automatic
reporting when the first crash happens. So unless despite complete
lack of any hints they find their way into Privacy settings their
crashes are not reported. I can no longer even make ureports manually
by clicking on Report in notifications. To report it, I need to do the
full BZ report.

With such a decrease in number of reports, ABRT is much less useful to
developers and I think we should fix it:

* privacy settings should reflect my settings from ABRT after upgrade.
* settings in ABRT and Control Center should be in sync, I understand
that the Privacy is master settings overriding app's settings, but
there is only one app reporting and it's very confusing for users.
* users should be asked if they want to enable automatic reporting
after the first crash like in the last.

Jiri