should we always install updates by default at each shut down?

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Thu May 14 13:43:19 UTC 2015

Hi all,

kparal pointed out on IRC today that in F22, gnome-shell's shutdown
dialog has the "Install pending updates" check box always checked. I
knew that we hadn't deliberately changed the default, so I did some digging.

It turned out to be a fallout from
https://github.com/hughsie/PackageKit/commit/0a7b6d67b98cd06cabe03176c02db83f276dbe7b
that regressed the PackageKit DBus API that gnome-shell uses, basically
flipping the default from "do not install updates by default" to "reboot
and install updates".

sgallagh asked me to seek guidance on the list here: Is it something
that we should fix before the F22 release and flip the default back so
that when someone hurriedly clicks through the shut down dialog, they
don't accidentally go into a 15-minute offline update applying mode?

--
Thanks,
Kalev