should we always install updates by default at each shut down?

Monty Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Thu May 14 20:13:18 UTC 2015

> On the other hand, why else would you reboot a
> system, these days?

Uhhhhhh.....

The days where desktop Linux never needs rebooted never really existed
(its not been getting worse or better really... it's been holding
steady at 'better than windows, but still at least weekly'

I reboot as little as possible, but it's still randomly necessary to
get Wifi back, get the GPU back, get the backlight back, get eSATA
back, get the keyboard back, get Pulse/ALSA to start working again,
etc....

That and I'm often rebooting at a point of trying desperately to get
something to work under a deadline.  Like standing in front of an
audience wondering why I have mouse but no keyboard input after
opening the laptop lid, etc.  The first time I saw 'reboot and install
updates' pop up my heart dropped (as I did not even realize I could
reboot without installing updates).  It's the number one reason I
wiped Windows 7 after trying it for a few weeks.  It insists on taking
an hour to install updates at the worst possible times.

Monty