Significant drop in ABRT reports in F22

Allan Day allanpday at gmail.com
Fri May 15 12:15:10 UTC 2015

Jiri Eischmann <eischmann at redhat.com> wrote:
> I've noticed a significant drop in number of reports in Fedora 22.

Thanks for spotting this Jiri, I agree that it's something to address
as a matter of urgency.

As you know, we did a review of the automatic reporting behaviour for
F22. One goal here was to replace the automatic reporting dialog that
pops up with the first error report - there needs to be a way to show
the privacy policy and explain what automatic reporting means. The
moment when a user is recovering from a crash is not a good time to do
this.

So, the design for F22 was to have GNOME Initial Setup present
information about automatic reporting, and prompt the user to enable
it. Looking at the situation you describe, one issue could be that
users aren't running through initial setup (which is supposed to
switch automatic reporting on), because they have already configured
their account using Anaconda.

> With such a decrease in number of reports, ABRT is much less useful to
> developers and I think we should fix it:
>
> * privacy settings should reflect my settings from ABRT after upgrade.
> * settings in ABRT and Control Center should be in sync, I understand
> that the Privacy is master settings overriding app's settings, but
> there is only one app reporting and it's very confusing for users.

Agree with these two points.

> * users should be asked if they want to enable automatic reporting
> after the first crash like in the last.

This one I'm not sure about, for some of the reasons explained above.
One alternative might be to ensure that initial setup always runs on
the first login after upgrade, as a way to present the new privacy
options.

Allan