Anaconda wishlist

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Wed May 27 16:19:36 UTC 2015

Here is an updated list of proposed changes, based on our discussion in
the WG meeting today. These changes are proposed for the Workstation
installer only and not other products' installers, so we assume that
Anaconda will allow this level of per-product configurability. Changes
are targeted for F24, not F23, and subject to further discussion with
Anaconda developers.

* Remove the timezone selection spoke from either anaconda or gnome
-initial-setup. These spokes are redundant and one or the other needs
to go. The reason to potentially retain it in Anaconda would be to get
the timestamps of installed files correct, if we care about that.
* Remove root password configuration. It's confusing how this is
different from the user's admin account password. Advanced users can
set a root password after installation if desired.
* Remove user account creation. This is redundant with gnome-initial
-setup.
* Remove or simplify the network configuration spoke. In the live
installer, this spoke allows setting only the system hostname, but it
follows different rules for setting the hostname than GNOME/systemd.
The spoke should either follow hostnamed's rules for pretty hostnames
(i.e. allows capital letters, spaces, etc. without any complaint), or
the spoke should be removed. If we keep it, it should allow the user to
set a "computer name" (avoiding technical terminology like "hostname")
and should not include the phrase "network configuration."

Changes to gnome-initial-setup: Skip language and keyboard layout
selection in user creation mode. These panels cannot reasonably be
removed from Anaconda, so we should use them only in existing user mode
(when a new user account is created after installation). They're
redundant in user creation mode. Also, completely remove timezone
selection if it remains in anaconda.

Optional: Remove hub and spokes: simply go straight to keyboard layout
selection after language selection, then from there to disk layout,
optionally from there to the hostname panel, and then to the
installation progress panel. This last panel will need a bit of a
redesign, since it will be pretty empty otherwise. Many WG members feel
this would make the installer easier to use, but we do not have
consensus on this. It is unrelated to the goal of reducing redundancy
between anaconda and g-i-s.

We also note that there have been many requests to simplify the
installation destination spoke, but we do not have any design for this.