Fedora runtimes and sandboxed desktop applications

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu May 28 20:16:51 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 12:43 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Is changing the app-id right? To me, app IDs correspond to
> application
> identity. If a user has a Fedora version of GEdit installed, and then
> installs a newer version of GEdit from upstream, I would expect:
>
>  - Only one GEdit icon appears in the list of applications
>  - If the user marked GEdit as a favorite, the favorite icon
>    retargets to the newer installed version
>
> By using the name GEdit and the GEdit icon, Fedora has already made
> the
> claim *to the user* that what it packaged is GEdit - having a
> different
> application ID under the hood can only lead to confusion.

Yeah, i agree, its not like having the fedora version and the upstream
version installed in parallel would work well anyway (which is which in
the shell?). I think we need to handle this in the same way that we
handle two different versions of an upstream gedit installed in
parallel (which currently has only one at a time being exported to the
system). We probably need to mark somehow that this is a fedora built
version though. Maybe we could add a packager field to the metadata.