mac help needed

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Nov 7 08:00:26 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 9:55 AM, kendell clark <coffeekingms at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I don't own a mac myself, but I'm writing here in case other people do.
> I'm a co developer of the sonar distribution, which is basically manjaro
> with speech. When I downloaded fedora 23 this morning which I also use,
> I noticed that it has on the USB drive  an hfsplus partition with what
> looks like a dummy copy of the mock kernel binary  to trick apples into
> thinking they're booting a copy of osx. Is there any way I can get a
> hold of the source, or instructions on how to add this to  sonar? I've
> been going around and around in circles trying to help various people
> with their macs and the mac isn't booting sonar. It's refusing to even
> try and I know fedora works on a mac because I've used it. Sorry if this
> is a little OT for this list but I didn't know where else to post this.

Some of this is in the mactel-boot package, source is in koji, and also here:
http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/mactel-boot/

And then there's various logical bits in Anaconda to create the HFS+
volume, and get things installed there.

Some of this is documented on Matthew Garrett's blog, you'll have to
search around:
http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/7468.html
http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12037.html

One thing that's also unique to Fedora is the boot media. All of
Fedora's x86_64 boot media will boot BIOS, UEFI, and Macs. And that
too is non-trivial.
http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/11285.html

--
Chris Murphy