Desktop section at Fedora Developer Portal

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 10 23:39:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 1:22 AM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org>
wrote:

> Surprise, this support will land in Epiphany for F24 after all. So a
> devassistant web app will definitely be possible.

Possible: maybe. Useful or necessary? probably not. I really don't think we
should have devassistant by default, or at all. Not to mention that this
"server + web GUI" thing is kinda scary when it comes to security,
especially on multi user systems (yes even if it listens on localhost).

And if it's a "web" app, how can it create the necessary files and folders
to "start a new project" (a task that I really don't think we should have a
whole app for, but whatever)? How does this work in a multi-user setup? I
hope the server doesn't run as root. Will it just give me an archive to
download with all the files ready? if so, why have it as a local app and
not as a "project template generator" as part of the "fedora developer
portal"?

Our goal should be to minimize the default set of apps to a small, polished
offering. Installing this tool doesn't help us be a more attractive OS for
developers.

Sorry for being all negative here, I know that's usually frowned upon, but
I just see no benefit in having this app be a part of our default offering.

--
-Elad.