when battery power is critical

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Oct 8 18:26:37 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 2:49 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:

>Chris Murphy wrote:
>> I can, it's just that there's an incongruence among the default
>> setting (off), the notification I get (it will hibernate), and what
>> actually happens (sleep/suspend to RAM).
>
> Then there's a bug in UPower or systemd.

Any suggestion on isolating which one and then I can file a bug?

>> For a 1% battery state to result in anything other than power off or
>> hibernate (suspend to disk) seems like a bad idea.
>
> Hibernate is the default if it's supported. You can check with:
> upower -d | grep critical-action

HybridSleep

Seems like hibernate by default isn't appropriate by default since the
installer doesn't support setting up swap for hibernate.

>> And then there are the IRST supporting laptops, and while there's some
>> kernel support for this I don't know if systemd or GNOME will leverage
>> it. The RAM to disk dump is definitely always unencrypted though.
>
> Nobody added support for IRST as a new kernel sleep state, so the support
> in systemd isn't finished.

So this is insufficient?
https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/7/2/544

> *BUT*. Suspending on a machine which supports that mode should be migrated
> to disk by the firmware. Right now, given the kernel's support for IRST,
> we can't show the difference between a firmware hibernation and suspend.

Or presumably configure whether to use it, although I don't really see
much of a downside to just always using this feature if it's
available. Maybe one is that it requires its own partition, with the
IRST partition type GUID set. It can't use the Linux swap partition.
So that means doubling up on extra partitions.

--
Chris Murphy