Red Hat Engineer plans for Fedora Workstation 24

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Mon Oct 26 19:16:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-10-26 at 13:57 -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:
> Codecs
> ------------
> H264 - I expect us to have sorted through our Koji changes and have
> this ready for F24, unless we suddenly start blocking on Cisco. Wim
> Taymans should start looking at getting Main support added at some
> point. People involved - Kalev Lember (mclasen), Wim Taymans (Kem),
> Kevin Fenzi (pfrields)

Are you able to say anything on how this is legally possible? Will we
be distributing binaries built by Cisco, or will we be paying the
maximum royalty? What about MP3 -- my understanding is that H.264
without MP3 results in videos without sound?

This is a critical step forward for us to compete with Ubuntu.

> System Polish
> -----------------
> GUI system upgrade - I expect us to have operating system upgrade
> available during the Fedora 23 lifecycle in GNOME Software, enabling
> people to upgrade from Fedora 23 to Fedora 24 through GNOME Software.
> People involved - Richard Hughes (mclasen) and Kalev Lember
> (mclasen).

This is also a critical step forward for us to compete with Ubuntu.

> Wayland - I expect us to be shipping Wayland as default in Fedora 24.
> People involved (Jonas Ã…dahl (mclasen), Olivier Fourdan (kem)  and
> many more.

I frankly don't expect this to happen, because my understanding is that
there is not even so much as a plan for how to avoid a11y regressions,
and I hope we don't switch to Wayland before that is all working
properly. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

One more thought: we did have plans to drastically simplify Anaconda
for F24 (e.g. by running language/keyboard selection in g-i-s in the
live environment); will that be implemented?

Michael