the state of open source accessibility

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 12:33:54 UTC 2015

hi
This would be fantastic. Myself, I'd like to see open source software
that works like skype, but isn't skype. SOmething that can import skype
contacts, and then use something open on the backend to call them. Sip
comes to mind, or webrtc. I don't think something like this exists, but
if the skype protocol were ever reverse engineered, at least to the
point that a compatible replacement could be developed enough to act as
a bridge ... I don't know that I like the state of things. Linux gaming
is getting extremely popular and competetive with windows, but the main
force behind that is proprietary. Valve is opening up parts of their
infrastructure but their main moneymaker is not. I'm not criticizing
valve's efforts in linux space that's a great thing. But it seems rather
ironic to me and a little ominous that most of the "popular"
applications are all closed because they can make things easy where the
open source ones cannot. At least that's the impression I get from
people when I ask them why they use chrome. Oh it's easy and it just
works and so on. It also ties into the google infrastructure. This is
worse in the accessibility community because the vast majority of those,
at least on linux, are not usable by us. Firefox is the most accessible
browser, with epiphany coming in at second. Most softphones are
accessible, with a few having various  minor bugs. I struggle to get
people to drop the proprietary speech synthesizers they're used to and
get resistance there, have issues with that myself sometimes. AndThe
nvidia driver is an endless circle I don't see a solution for. Nvidia
binary driver works so well because nvidia has information about how
their graphics chips work they will not share with the open source
community. Maybe some people don't care as long as it works but myself
I'm inclined to use an open source driver even with issues, if for no
other reason than to poke such companies in the eye and to show my
support for all the hard work you guys do. And if anyone can get nouveau
working perfectly, it's you guys at redhat, I have every confidence.
this is not on topic so I'll change the subject so as not to confuse
people. I forgot to in line quote, I apologize. I'll make sure to do
that next time, I only remembered it right at the end of the message.
Thanks
Kendell clark
Skype is still dominent despite all my efforts at getting people off of
it. This is *not* fedora's fault though, just me banging my head against
the wall.