detecting network routers in gnome?

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 22:51:53 UTC 2015

On 10/28/2015 05:06 PM, Stefan Nuxoll wrote:
> The Windows network view uses multiple protocols for device discovery,
> including NETBIOS, UPnP and Zeroconf. Most modern routers advertise
> themselves using Zeroconf - at one point Epiphany (GNOME Web) would
> display Zeroconf advertised devices under a 'Local Sites' bookmark
> folder, but it seems that is no longer the case (correct me if I'm
> wrong). Nautilus (GNOME Files) is purely a file manager, it does not do
> any Zeroconf discovery for network devices.

"I think this isn't entirely accurate. I believe it uses avahi or
zeroconf, if you like that better to show network accessible devices,
which is how it displays a "windows network" option. I don't know this
to be completely true it could use some other way of showing these
devices but I "think" that's how it does it. In nautilus > 3.18 these
devices have been moved into an "other devices" view which makes it look
cleaner and less cluttered. If this is the case that routers advertise
themselves via zeroconf I  may have to investigate the avahi config
files to see if a particular option needs enabling. As an aside, the
gateway alias does seem to work. However, I get 100 percent packet loss
when trying to use it. The particular output I get is:
kendell at tigger speechd-el$ sudo ping gateway

[sudo] password for kendell:

PING gateway.home (198.105.254.17) 56(84) bytes of data.

^C

--- gateway.home ping statistics ---

7 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 6007ms

I've setup a separate home domain via firewalld, which might be why this
doesn't work. Another interesting side effect of this is that I can no
longer use vinegger, gnome's remote desktop client, to connect to
windows or linux machines over the network. When I attempt to search for
them in the "home" domain, I get an error. The exact error is "cannot
browse for "protocol" on domain home. Nxdomain." I'm wondering if I
might have messed something up attempting to mess with things in
firewalld. This stuff is a little over my head. I really should invest
in a good networking book
Thanks
Kendell clark"