xdg-app accessibility?

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 02:07:15 UTC 2015

hi all
I've just read christian's fedora workstation update article. This got
me thinking. I would like to, if possible, have by fedora 24, at least a
basic level of functioning accessibility for xdg-app compliant
applications. I'll be happy to work with upstream or fedora developers
directly and do as much work as I can to improve this. I seem to recall
some talk about this on the mailing list to the equivalent of there
needs to be some redesign of the accessibility stack to improve
accessibility. While I believe this is extremely important, I think it
is more important to get accessibility working with the apps first, and
then focus on the redesign, possibly to be ready by f25 or f26? I'm not
an accessibility developer in the sense that I write code. I am,
however, a passionate open source advocate despite my occasional rants
and my long silences as I try to juggle accessibility improvements for
all the major desktops on my own, gnome, mate, cinnamon. Michael
katanzaro and bastian nosira help me out a lot on the gnome end, but no
one else on those other desktops does so I'm left to file the bugs and
so on. i have not actually tested xdg compliant apps. Can someone with
vision attempt this with orca, magnifier, onscreen keyboard, etc? If
we're going to do this, we need to do it right so that accessibility
support is equal among the various tools.
Thanks
Kendell clark