Requesting migration for desktop list

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 13:08:19 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, 2015-10-29 at 06:38 -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > Given the reason why those 2 exist, I don't think we'll be merging
> > them.
> >
> > We already had that discussion when creating the #fedora-workstation
> > channel
> > on freenode.
>
> What is the reason why those two exist?
>
> They're to me they're almost identical channels, and I have way too
> many tabs open in Empathy, so I've started hanging out in #fedora
> -workstation only. Well, #fedora-desktop tends to have more GNOME
> development discussion, but everything that happens there could really
> happen in #gnome-hackers or #fedora-workstation instead....

I'll quote from David Zeuthen's 7 year old mail:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2008-September/msg00018.html

"
I think the question of why #fedora-desktop is on gimpnet has come up
before so I'll try to repeat what I think the reason was: it's more
important to stay close to the upstream channels; it does happen, rather
frequently in fact, that people from other GNOME distros pop into
#fedora-desktop to ask questions or that people working on Fedora
desktop summon people to #fedora-desktop. We'd lose part of that synergy
if we were on freenode.
"

It was also discussed in this thread:
https://lists.stg.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/desktop@lists.stg.fedoraproject.org/thread/BLGL4G2T6ZJDEFSQGWOQJUXYKBWZECCL/