Requesting migration for desktop list

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 15:36:56 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 01:47:00PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On 10/29/2015 12:45 PM, Ray Strode wrote:
> >Hi,
> >>Might this be an opportunity to also migrate the Workstation WG to a
> >>separate "workstation" list? I think keeping the existing list made
> >>sense when there was the possibility the that Workstation edition might
> >>actually include several different desktop technologies, and might even
> >>have had a different name or branding. But now, it seems mostly
> >>confusing (both because people end up in the wrong place, and because
> >>it muddles the message).
> >Well, my concerns would be:
> >
> >1) either, we wouldn't get old archives in hyperkitty if we renamed the list
> >or
> >2) old links to archives would break
> >3) people's mail filters will break.
> >
> >But maybe we can solve those problems somehow?
>
> I would suggest keeping it simple, throwing less variables / things to go
> wrong in the mix, and just migrate the list as-is and consider a list name
> change further down the road.

That's my feeling too.  There have been plenty of folks in recent
months coming in to the list to ask questions and participate in
discussions.  Without a plan in place to go through all the places
where we reference this list already and fix those, I'm not in favor
of moving at this time, but we can certainly reconsider down the road.