Call for agenda for Workstation WG meeting 2015-Sept-02

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Sep 1 18:36:15 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:

> - What are the next steps for Atomic Workstation?

A decoder ring and a flow chart.

"atomic", Atomic, Atomic Host, Atomic Host model; ostree, rpm-ostree,
atomic; and four lists containing the various "atomic" discussions:
Fedora Cloud, ostree (gnome), Project Atomic general and Project
Atomic devel. Right now I can't actually tell from posts on any of
those four lists why they were originally started on those four lists,
that's how similar they all seem to me.

But I admit I'm in the happy middle transition between "I grok it all"
and "atomic, huh?" So my confusion is expected. But getting out of it
with words alone is not working.

If it's going to be called Fedora n Atomic Workstation. Then by
extension we'd have Fedora n Atomic Cloud. And yet:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/cloud/2015-August/005699.html

No, call it Atomic Host?

And yet the ISO is Fedora-Cloud_Atomic-x86_64-22.iso

I'm also confused about the distinction between deploying a tree to
switch trees versus booting a tree implied by the different GRUB menu
entries. Or if those are even the same thing.

The differences between Cloud and Cloud Atomic, are bigger than the
differences between Fedora and OS X when it comes to FHS layout, mount
behavior, statelessness (or lack thereof), and software installation
and upgrades. (And as there's no "atomicized" variant of Workstation
yet, Cloud is what I'm basing my experience on thus far.)

And btw I think ostree/rpm-ostree is badass. But that does nothing to
assuage confusion. It's something of a WTF, as in, What The Feynman.
If we can't get it explained better than it is right now, then we
don't really understand it.

--
Chris Murphy