Our sandboxed apps won't really protect users

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 15:29:16 UTC 2015

On 09/11/2015 11:16 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will start with a TL;DR summary of my mail: we don't have to sandbox
> our xdg-apps, like you say. But if we do, we should only allow running
> sandboxed apps, even if it means we lose most of our apps. Otherwise,
> the sandbox is pointless. It's a hard choice we'll need to make. Right
> now, we're headed towards developing a useless sandbox, which is silly,
> and it's time to apply the breaks and rethink that.
Sandboxing apps is about protecting your desktop from the app,  Not
protecting your
app from unsandboxed apps on your desktop.  If we had a sandboxed
firefox when a firefox vulnerability happens, then my ~/.ssh content is much
less at risk.  Similarly my financial data and other financial data is
not at risk.

If we could sandbox the largest GUI Apps like firefox, evince/acroread,
Libreoffice, games
this would be a big step forward in securing the desktop, even if some
users continue
to download apps from hackme.com.
> On Fri, 2015-09-11 at 07:02 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> That's ignoring the existing security measures we have in place, like
>> RPM/dnf requiring signatures on packages
> This isn't true; you can install unsigned packages whenever you want,
> just by clicking through (well, keypressing-through) the warning from
> dnf. If you've installed RPMFusion, you've done this.
Yes although most people have not, or only a few packages.  Sandboxing apps
is about protecting you from bugs in trusted apps, not about preventing
untrusted
apps that you install bypassing security.
>> and SELinux.
> SELinux is very important, but the security model is completely
> different: it's designed to protect benign but buggy applications from
> being owned by malicious input. We're trying to protect against
> applications that are themselves malicious. The malicious app is simply
> not going to ship with an SELinux policy that constrains it from doing
> the bad things it wants to do. Actually, it will not ship with an
> SELinux policy at all, because it's not mandatory to write an SELinux
> policy, so nobody does.
We can't currently use SELinux to lock down apps because of the way
the desktop is designed, if we move to a sandboxed app environment, we
can take advantage of it to enhance the security of the apps.