No Frozen Rawhide coming soon! New paths on mirrors!

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Feb 8 17:07:56 UTC 2010

With a burst of testing last week, we confirmed that our infrastructure
should handle No Frozen Rawhide
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_Frozen_Rawhide_Proposal .  Feature
freeze is tomorrow, which is when we'd branch our source control, and
when we'd enact no frozen rawhide.  The timing is a bit tight, so we may
have to delay a day or two in order to get this done, but the end result
would be two nightly trees being published.

/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/  will become the new path of
Rawhide.  It will continue to not have install images, and it will be
the place where builds from the devel branch in CVS go to.  It'll be
Fedora 14 intended content.

/pub/fedora/linux/development/13/  will become the new path of the
branched Fedora 13 content.  This is where builds from the F-13/ branch
in CVS will go, after they pass through bodhi as "stable".

/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/13/  will be where potential Fedora 13
builds go after passing through bodhi as "testing".  This is where
you'll find the latest stuff proposed for freeze break and where testing
and peer review of these freeze breaks will happen.  When a maintainer
feels enough testing has happened, or enough karma triggers the bodhi
auto request, the build will be marked "stable" and show up in the
development/13 tree at the next nightly compose.

Even though we've been talking about No Frozen Rawhide for quite a
while, this will indeed surprise some people, so we will be trying to be
extra verbose in what we are doing over the next few days, and always
available for questions.  Unfortunately I have to step out for a few
hours and thus any responses to this email will not be seen by me for a
few hours.

You can find us at #fedora-devel on Freenode if you wish to discuss
live, or help us with documenting these changes and setting expectations
with our developers and users.

I will be updating
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_Frozen_Rawhide_Implementation later
today with our current progress and plans.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!