It is time for another episode of: NAME THAT FEDORA RELEASE

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 16:03:54 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero at redhat.com> wrote:

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_18
>
> A quick word on details:
>
> You *must* follow the guidelines at the page listed above for your name to
> be considered.  These guidelines include the following items:
>
> * There must be an "is-a" link between the name "Beefy Miracle" (the name of
> F17) and your suggested name.
> * That link must be different from any previous links between release names.
> * Names of living people and well-known trademarks will likely be rejected
> as well.

I noted that a lot of name suggestions were failing the "Is a" test
this morning.  I've added comments to the naming table on the wiki to
names which don't have that link.  If you have suggested a name,
please look for a note there.  If the Board is unable to determine the
"is a" link, the name won't proceed to legal (and from there to voting
as a potential Fedora 18 code name).

Also, please make the "is-a" linkage as narrow as you can.  For
instance, I put down a lot of suggested links like "Beefy Miracle is a
food and Potato Chips are also a food"  If you can narrow down the
food category like: "Beefy Miracle is a food served at summer
barbeques and so are Potato Chips" that is better.  Why?  Because it
will leave open more ways to form "is-a" links for future Fedora Code
names.

Thank you
-Toshio