F20 System Wide Change: Migrate to Bluez 5

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Aug 14 14:34:24 UTC 2013

= Proposed System Wide Change: Migrate to Bluez 5 =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Bluez5

Note: post deadline exception to coordinate BlueZ 5 effort as upstreams were
not clear to move to it in the time of submission deadline.

Change owner(s): Bastien Nocera, Kalev Lember, and the desktop SIG

BlueZ is the Linux Bluetooth stack for managing wireless Bluetooth devices. In
Fedora 20, we are going to switch from BlueZ version 4 to version 5.

== Detailed description ==
The BlueZ project recently released BlueZ version 5. Compared to BlueZ version
4, the new release brings new features and improvements, however it is also
accompanied by a significant API change. The BlueZ versions 4 and 5 are not
parallel installable, and we need coordination between various parts of Fedora
to switch over at the same time.

This is coming late after the Change Proposals Submission Deadline. As this
affects various critical parts of the distribution (KDE, GNOME, NetworkManager,
pulseaudio), we wanted to be sure it is feasible to switch everything over at
the same time, and were considering postponing it to Fedora 21. However,
upstreams have made good progress with porting over to BlueZ 5 and we feel it
would be beneficial for Fedora to switch over during the Fedora 20 timeframe.

== Scope ==
BlueZ 5 uses a D-Bus API that's not compatible with BlueZ 4 and as such,
management applications and a number of libraries and daemons need to be
ported.

* Proposal owners:
This is a change affecting many parts of the distribution. The proposal owners,
supported by the rest of the Desktop SIG, are going to take care of updating
the BlueZ package to version 5 and porting over gnome-bluetooth,
NetworkManager, and PulseAudio packages.

* KDE SIG:
The bluetooth stack for KDE is BlueDevil. It has a git branch with BlueZ 5
support and the Fedora KDE SIG will handle updating the package to a git
snapshot.

* Desktop SIG:
For GNOME 3.10, Gustavo Padovan and Bastien Nocera have been porting gnome-
bluetooth, NetworkManager and PulseAudio to BlueZ 5, and the Fedora Desktop
SIG will ensure these get updated to the BlueZ 5 versions in Fedora.

* NetworkManager team:
... will ensure the relevant NetworkManager changes land in Fedora 20.

* MATE team:
mate-bluetooth has not received much upstream attention recently and is likely
to not get ported to BlueZ 5 in time for F20. However, the Fedora MATE
maintainers are looking into switching back to using gnome-bluetooth, and
creating a panel applet for MATE that uses gnome-bluetooth underneath. An
initial prototype is available at https://github.com/NiceandGently/bluetooth-panel-applet

* Other developers:
Bluez4 and Bluez5 are not parallel-installable, and incompatible, so other
applications relying on Bluez4 will need to be ported by their respective
maintainers.

* Release engineering:
No release engineering coordination required.

* Policies and guidelines:
No changes needed in the packaging guidelines.