F21 schedule: what would you do with more time?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 22 15:03:52 UTC 2013

Based on discussion at Flock, on the devel mailing list, and in the FESCo
meeting, we are looking for feedback on the idea of a longer release cycle
for Fedora 21 -- not (right now at least) the bigger question of the 6-month
cycle overall, but just, right now, slowing down for a release to get some
things in order.

Specifically, both Release Engineering and QA have clear needs (and even
plans for) greater automatiion, but are also incredibly busy simply doing
the things they need to do _now_ to get the release out the door.

So, FESCo would like to see some specifics, like "If we had one week with
nothing else to worry about, we could have automated generation and upload
of cloud images" (to pick an example I personally care about). Or "with six
months of overall delay, we could have continuous integration testing of a
key subset of rawhide". Or "we could spend a couple of weeks and automate
the new package and review workflow".

What Infrastructure projects would be helped by this? Web and design team,
would slowing down the release focus allow time to work on, oh, say, getting
the Wiki beautiful (or does it not matter)? What else?

As we look at Fedora.next ideas and possibly decide to start implementation
in the F21 timeframe, we will likely find _new_ things that take specific
work. Let's not worry about that right now. What things we do _now_ could be
improved with the investment of some effort?