Proposed F19 Feature: systemd features

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Sun Jan 27 13:54:49 UTC 2013

Announcing various systemd features in one announcement, see bellow:

= Features/SystemdCalendarTimers =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemdCalendarTimers

Feature owner(s): Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering dot net>

systemd has supported timer units for activating services based on time since
its inception. However, it only could schedule services based on monotonic
time events (i.e. "every 5 minutes"). With this feature in place systemd also
supports calendar time events (i.e. "every monday morning 6:00 am", or "at
midnight on every 1st, 2nd, 3rd of each month if that's saturday or sunday").

= Features/SystemdHardwareDatabase =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemdHardwareDatabase

Feature owner(s): Kay Sievers <kay at redhat dot com>

The udevd service has a long history of managing kernel devices. Besides
generating events when devices are discovered or removed it maintains a
dynamic, stateless database of all available devices including meta data about
them. With Fedora 19 we want to substantially enhance the metadata that udev
keeps for each device, by augmenting it from a userspace database of non-
essential information, that is indexed by device identification data such as
PCI/USB vendor/product IDs.

= Features/SystemdLightweightContainers =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemdLightweightContainers

Feature owner(s): Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering dot net>

For a longer time systemd already included the systemd-nspawn tool as a more
powerful version of chroot(1), primarily inteded for use in development,
experimenting, debugging, instrumentation, testing and building of software.
With Fedora 19 we want to make nspawn considerably more useful, so that it can
easily be used to start containers capable of booting up a complete and
unmodified Fedora distribution inside as normal system services.

= Features/SystemdMessageCatalog =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemdMessageCatalog

Feature owner(s): Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering dot net>

Logging is essential for finding and tracking down system problems. Just finding
and tracking them down however is seldom enough to actually get them fixed.
With Journal Message Catalogs we want to link helpful meta information
directly to many log messages applications generate, keyed off an ID
identifying the type of message. This localized meta information can help the
user to fix the problem, refer him to additional documentation, or even inform
him where to get further help.

= Features/SystemdResourceControl =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemdResourceControl

Feature owner(s): Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering dot net>

systemd already has support for assigning specific resources to system services
using various configuration settings. With Fedora 19 we'd like to build on
that, and add the ability for the admin to dynamically query the resource
control parameters and change them at runtime.