F20 System Wide Change: Visible Cloud

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Jul 15 10:22:22 UTC 2013

= Proposed System Wide Change: Visible Cloud =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/VisibleCloud

Change owner(s): Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject org>

With Fedora 19's First Class Cloud Images feature [1], we have Amazon EC2 and
downloadable cloud images (in qcow2 and raw.xz format) produced and released
together with the traditional desktop installer and and livecd images. Now,
let's go to the next level and present the cloud images as equal options.

== Detailed description ==
This involves three key changes. They are not significant changes to other
packages, but since this has implications for the distribution as a whole, I
thought it best considered as bigger than a self-contained change.

1. Refactoring of the Fedora web site to put the cloud image on equal footing
with the desktop image download. The new F19 cloud images page [2] is very
nice thanks to the hard work of the web team, but unfortunately, in order to
find it, one has to go down into the cellar, into a disused lavatory with a
sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard. Let's put it on display in the
metaphorical front lobby.

2. Creating specific release criteria and tests for basic cloud image
functionality in, at least, Amazon EC2 and OpenStack. (Tests for smaller
public cloud services could be added once those services gain the ability for
us to provide official images directly. Tests for Eucalyptus and other IaaS
software could be added as well.)

3. Building images in Koji using virtualization and Anaconda, rather than
using a chroot-based appliance-creator. This will ensure that the cloud image
is more in line with The Real Fedora.

== Scope ==
Proposal owner: Coordination; working with web designers and documentation
writers to develop the new presentation, working with QA to develop criteria
and tests, and working with release engineering to land the changes to image
building. I plan to be actively involved in all of these.

Other developers: This will probably require a overhaul of the Get Fedora
website, as that is current primarily focused on the desktop download.

Release engineering: Yes, Jay Greguske, Andrew Thomas, and I are working on
the improvements to the image build system and coordinating with Dennis
Gilmore.

Policies and guidelines: As noted, QA guidelines will need to be updated.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FirstClassCloudImages
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options#clouds