Announcing the Cloud Working Group

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 25 21:09:57 UTC 2013

I sent a message about this yesterday to the Cloud SIG mailing list, but
neglected to send to the wider community. Also, I just listed people without
introductions, and although I think all of these names should be familiar to
many of us, that seems like a nice thing. So:

I'm pleased to annouce that the following people have agreed to be voting
members of the initial working group:

 * James Antill -- FPC member, yum maintainer. Will help with the tools
     we'll need to build a brave new containerized world.

 * Robyn Bergeron -- Former Fedora Cloud SIG wrangler, now the FPL. Driver
     of Fedora for those who value mean time to recover over mean time
     between failure. Talks regularly with smart people in awesome
     innovative open software communities outside of our traditional
     comfort zone.

 * Joe Brockmeier -- Fedora Marketing contributor, and also member of
     the Apache CloudStack PMC. Will help with market research,
     marketing, communications, and as much as we can trick him into
     taking on.

 * Haïkel Guémar -- Longtime Fedora contributor (packager, ambassador,
     writer), and works on cloud computing for $DAYJOB, and so will provide
     a voice for real-world users.

 * Sam Kottler -- Works with Puppet and is a member of Bundler and
     RubyGems core teams. Has opinions, not afraid to use them. Does
     not sleep.

 * Sandro Mathys -- Another longtime contributor, active in OpenStack
     and RDO, also works on cloud computing for actual money; will
     provide real-world experience and contribute to QA.

 * Matthew Miller -- Me. FESCo coordinator, cheerleading, that sort of
     thing.

 * Frankie Onuonga -- Member of the Fedora Infrastructure team,
     interested in release engineering. Works for a public cloud
     startup hopefully going live next week with Fedora images.

 * Mattias Runge -- Fedora contributor and OpenStack developer. Has
     presented a somewhat different idea of where we should go with
     this than what I suggested, which is good in case I'm entirely
     wrong.

As Josh noted in the Workstation WG announcement, I also want to
strongly stress that while the above people are the initial voting
members, we're looking for participation from anyone interested in
helping Fedora succeed as a cloud operating system.

We will be using using the existing Cloud SIG mailing list
(cloud at lists.fedoraproject.org) and #fedora-cloud IRC channel for group
communication.