F21 System Wide Change: GHC 7.8

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 14:14:01 UTC 2014

= Proposed System Wide Change:  GHC 7.8 =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/GHC_7.8

Change owner(s): Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com>, Ricky Elrod
<relrod at redhat.com>, Haskell_SIG <haskell at lists.fedoraproject.org>

Update the GHC Haskell compiler to the major new 7.8 release, and
update/rebuild all Haskell packages against it.

== Detailed Description ==
* The involves updating ghc from 7.6.3 to 7.8.1 (or later), and
rebuilding/updating all Fedora Haskell packages.
* The initial work will be done locally offline to make sure that it is
possible to build all our packages with ghc-7.8 and the latest updated
libraries.
* This may also include building with the llvm backend to ensure that building
on ARM will work.
* Once that is completed, building will be done into Koji for rawhide and
testing done.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
**  locally test rebuilding and updating of all packages
**  update macros to subpackage static libraries
 ** push changes to Koji
 ** testing

 * Other developers:  If you own a package which contains some Haskell code
built with ghc you will need to rebuild you package to make sure it still
rebuilds with ghc-7.8. Feel free to contact the Haskell SIG if we need
assistance with fixing any build breakage, and we will try to help out.

* Release engineering: not required

* Policies and guidelines:  There may be some lesser changes to the Haskell
Packaging Guidelines needed - they could be done after this Change.